On a positive note, we did find out that the boyfriend (who had never had prior exposure to kittens or animals for that matter) would definitely be open to any furry additions down the line. Just not now.
Anyhow, as the second year is fast approaching and my summer is speeding away, I'm beginning to feel the nervousness that had entered my stomach and mind the days leading up to 1st year. I've been preparing for this moment all summer - telling myself that I can't do what I did last year. I can't drive myself to the ground in memorization. Instead, I told myself I'm going to learn as much as I can and really try to understand the material. Over the summer, as I shadowed my GOAL-E mentor, an internal medicine specialist, I discovered how much I didn't know. Yes, I'm not supposed to know as much as they do, but I just felt completely empty in the head - as if I were starting from square one. It actually seemed like I never experienced first year. But I know that everything will come in time and that I did learn a lot. This term, my goal is sit up in the front, absorb as much as I can, and really try to retain things and understand it all.
My boyfriend and I struggle, I think, with trying to be the best and trying to chase after success, but in the end, what matters is that you're enjoying the moment and the journey. Otherwise, I think when we try to define our lives by the end point and our expectations of how things will turn out, we're going to be sorely disappointed. I can't spend 2nd year expecting perfect grades because that will only lead me down the path of disappointment. Not to mention that perfect grades are not synonymous with knowledge and being a good vet. I'm going to make a conscious effort to enjoy the fact that I worked my ass off to get here to this point and that I should be happy that I've made it this far. The boyfriend always reminds me that I spent 3+ years just to even apply to vet school (not even knowing if I would get in or not), but I did get accepted (and to an awesome school); and I need to credit myself for that in addition to enjoying the success I've had thus far and will continue to have. I want to be the best veterinarian I can be all the while finding joy in every day that I am pursuing this dream.
No comments:
Post a Comment